August 30, 2011

I am NOT a Foodie

Let's start this little party off by being clear on one thing. I am NOT a Foodie. I have not been to culinary school. I do not search out the hottest, newest restaurant opened by the biggest named celebrity chef. I do not adhere to a specific diet or nutritional regimen. And I am most certainly not a food critic. I am a damn good home cook who also enjoys a great meal dining out. I am lucky enough that my hobby is something I am good at and can share with the ones I love, that I get to live in beautiful Los Angeles, California so I have access to amazing fresh local produce, cheese, meats, fish, and more, and when I am not the one making the meal I get the pleasure of eating everything from street tacos to fancy schmancy sushi and all the good stuff in between.

I love food. I love the way it tastes. I love putting it together and creating masterpieces with it.I love how something we create for the first time can be as delicious as something that has been made for generations. I love how a simple and inexpensive dish can be as tasty as one that is complex and pricey. I love how food can be an experience. I love how food brings people together. I love how it is at our core. We require it. It feeds our bodies and our soul.

The seriousness required to be a legitimate foodie is lost on me. I don't have the time or the dedication to keep up with all of the openings of new trendy joints in town. Sure bacon and chocolate together is surprisingly tasty, but I still prefer my bacon with eggs and my chocolate out of a golden sealed white Sees box .I don't take Yelp so seriously it is like a second job to review every place I try and I absolutely do not consider wine pairings when choosing a dish. It is also my belief that approaching anything with a sense of humor will only make it better. I am a kid at heart. I still want to put the chopsticks in each side of my mouth like a walrus. Even in public. No matter how many dishes I master I still turn into an episode of I Love Lucy when I bake. And most importantly, I love to try new things, after which hilarity commonly ensues. Trust me, when I decided to try bean cake for the first time your simple dining out suddenly becomes dinner and a show.

Good food can spark conversation and curiosity. Great food can compel complete silence. A love of food can inspire a whole blog! So here's to hoping anyone is interested in the journeys ahead.